About:black is a black page within most of the browsers, it can occur due to malware, problems or if there’s been some malware removed from your system.
Although most major web browsers feature a default website to which the browser re-directs you at start-up, corrupted profile data can instead cause your Web browser to display a blank page with the subject “about:blank” on the URL bar.
Let’s be clear about something, about:blank is not malware. However, occasionally, malware will explicitly mess with your web browser settings and about:blank will be displayed. Browser hijackers will sometimes change the homepage of your browser, and when your antivirus will not correctly clean-up the infection, it might corrupt the settings. In cases like these, the browser will simply displays about:blank page.
about:blank is simply a benign page that’s built in to your browser. It’s not something to “get rid of”.
It’s the page that your browser displays when it has nothing else to display. That’s all.
The problem, of course, is that about:blank can show up unexpectedly, and people get confused about why, and what to do next.
Getting rid of the about:blank page is fairly easy, and can be done by manually editing the URL startup page into the “Home Page” section your web browser.
So about:blank it can appear due to browser issues (corrupt data), malware (browser hijackers, adware or potentially unwanted programs), or if there’s been malware that has not been properly removed.
If you suspect that your computer might be infected with malware (adware, browser hijacker or any other type of malware) or simply want to restore your browser settings to its default, you can follow the below guide.
How to remove about:blank pop-up ads (By AdwCleaner )
AdwCleaner is a free utility, which will scan your computer and web browser for the about:blank browser hijacker.
- You can download AdwCleaner from the below link.
AdwCleaner Download Link (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “AdwCleaner”)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close your web browser, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the “Scan” button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for adware and other malicious programs.
- To remove the malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the “Clean” button.
- AdwCleaner will prompt you to save any open files or documents, as the program will need to reboot the computer to complete the cleaning process. Please do so, and then click on the “OK” button.
When your computer reboots and you are logged in, AdwCleaner will automatically open a log file that contains the files, registry keys, and programs that were removed from your computer. Please review this log file and then close the notepad window.
Reset your browser to default settings :
If you are still experiencing issues with the about:blank browser hijacker in Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome, we will need to reset your browser to its default settings.
This step should be performed only if your issues have not been solved by the previous steps.
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the “gear icon” in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options.
- In the “Internet Options” dialog box, click on the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Reset” button.
- In the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” section, select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
- When Internet Explorer has completed its task, click on the “Close” button in the confirmation dialogue box. You will now need to close your browser, and then you can open Internet Explorer again.
Your computer should now be free of the about:blank browser hijacker. You can remove AdwCleaner from your machine.