Good news from iPhone-Dev team has released new version of Pwnage Tool 3.1 which can jailbreak and unlock iPhone OS 3.1 but its only for Mac OS X users. The Pwnage Tool will apply of first generation iPhone, iPhone 3G and first generation iPod Touch.
iPhone-Dev Team has said that currently the Pwnage Tool 3.1 won’t work or support iPhone 3GS and second gen iPod Touch and third gen iPod Touch.
The redsn0w tool for Windows and Mac OS X will be released some time in the near future. Hence, the cat and mouse game between Apple and iPhone Dev team continues.
Note: Using Jailbreak, unlock tools will void Apple’s warranty for the respective device and may render the device unusable.
The iPhone dev team has published the following details on their blog about jailbreaking iPhone OS 3.1:
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates as described here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts.
- If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release.
- This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
Users (iPhone and iPhone 3G) who have ultrasn0w on their phones should first create a custom .ipsw file using Pwnage Tool and then upgrade their devices with the new custom .ipsw file. The iPhone 3G users will need to continue using ultrasn0w with Pwnage Tool created .ipsw in order to apply their phone with iPhone OS 3.1 update. First generation iPod Touch users will get to use firmware 3.1.1 update for creating a custom .ipsw with Pwnage Tool.
You can download PwnageTool 3.1 from the official BitTorrent link or the unofficial mirror sites:
Unofficial mirror sites:
[via Dev Team’s blog]