If you came across any Facebook Message with an image file (exactly .SVG file format) send by any of your Facebook friends, just avoid clicking it.
An ongoing Facebook spam which has gone viral is spreading malware downloader among Facebook users by taking advantage of innocent-looking SVG image file to infect computers.
If clicked, the file would eventually infect your PC with the nasty Locky Ransomware, a family of malware that has quickly become one of the favorite tools among criminals due to its infecting capabilities.
Locky Ransomware can be effectively protected by the following measures:
- Do not open attachments from unknown senders, even those that you did not expect.
- At work, warn colleagues in departments that frequently receive e-mail messages from the external environment – for example HR or finance department.
- Regularly back up the contents of your device. Even if successful infiltration this way you’ll be able to access your data. External disk or other storage should not be constantly connected to your computer, otherwise their content is also encrypted.
- Regularly update your operating system and other programs on the device you are using. If you’re still using an unsupported have Windows XP, seriously consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows.
- Use only security software with the latest updates, but ideally, its latest version. Producers in the newer version had added many additional security features. If you are using a security software company ESET keep the ESET LiveGrid. At the malware is able to react before the latest virus database. V10 version even includes functionality aimed specifically at this kind of malicious software.
ESET since 1987 develops security software that keeps a record number of awards and which allows the more than 100 million users to safely discover the possibilities of the Internet. ESET broad product portfolio covers all popular platforms and offers businesses and consumers ultimate proactive protection with minimum requirements. One of the three European research centers ESET’s malware detection in Prague.ESET has global headquarters in Bratislava and has an extensive network of partners in more than 200 countries.
If at all you have been affected by the malware here are the few easy steps to get rid of it..
How to Remove the Malicious Extensions?
While Google has already removed the malicious extensions from its Chrome Store, Facebook will hopefully soon block it entirely.
If you are one of those who had been tricked into installing one of the two malicious extensions, you can remove it immediately.
To remove the offending extension, just go to Menu → More Tools → Extensions and check for the extension and remove it.
However, if you have been unlucky and you would have ended up with the Locky ransomware and the only way for restoring your files is: A regular backup. If not, you are screwed up!
It is advised to, “Always, be wary when someone sends you just an ‘image’ – especially when it is not how he or she would usually behave.”
Stay tuned for more updates and you can also download our app from appstore for regular updates.
Source : thehackernews