I have been using broadband unlimited plan for more than 1 year. The performance of BSNL have not been up to mark, its poor performance and poor customer service are the drawbacks.
But still i can’t stop myself using BSNL broadband, since there is no substitute. So i started myself googling “speedup bsnl broadband” and found few tweaks that are worth.
I like to share 6 tweaks to speed up broad band connection..
1. Tweak up DNS Servers :
BSNL does not provide any DNS servers, the selection is default. This is one of the major problem that we are facing, most of the time they are very slow and sometimes they fail to respond. So here is a simple solution to speed up your DNS resolution provided by opendns.
- Open Control Panel -> Networking and Sharing Center -> Manage Network Connection.
- Now a window showing all networks will be opened. Select BSNL Connection -> Right click -> Properties.
- Now, double click on Internet Protocol Version(TCP/IPv4) and in newly opened window at bottom, select “Use the following DNS Server address” .
- And fill these 2 DNS Addresses in two fields: 188.8.131.52
and hit OK. That’s it. Your BSNL Internet Broadband DNS Servers changed.
Note: The service is provided by OpenDNS.
2. Selection of browser and tweaking up :
I started browsing at the age of 17, i m now 27, so in my internet life i tested many browsers like Internet explorer, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Google chrome .. I found Mozilla Firefox and Chrome are worth, but i use Mozilla Firefox it is fastest browser, more secured, and fully customizable way to surf.
- Download Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10
- FlashBlock extension to prevent downloading of Flash content by default, thereby significantly speeding up browsing experience. Like you want to watch YouTube movies etc just disable it with a click.
- FasterFox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.
3. Tweaking TCP/IP Parameters :
You can try to increase your broadband bandwidth tweaking the TCP/IP parameters. The process is simplified by using TCPOptimizer , a free tool. It helped me, your mileage may vary.
Download Link : TCPOptimizer
4) Tweaking Windows XP:
This tip is designed for increased BROADBAND speed only in Windows XP.
To speed up the Internet connection speed we need to configure a special buffer in the computer’s memory in order to enable it to better deal with interrupts made from the NIC or the USB modem.
This tip is only recommended if you have 512MB RAM or higher.
Step #1 – Identify the IRQ used by the NIC/USB modem
- Open the System Information tool by running MSINFO32.EXE from the Run command.
- Expand System Summary > Hardware Resources > IRQs.
- Look for the listing made for your NIC (in my case – a Intel® PRO/100+ Management Adapter). Note the IRQ next to the specified line (in my case – IRQ21).
In case of USB modems you will first need to find the right USB device used by your modem. Follow these steps:
- Open the Device Manager tool by running DEVMGMT.MSC from the Run command (or by right-clicking My Computer > Hardware tab > Device Manager button).
- Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand it.
- Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties. Note that you might need to do so for all listed USB Root hubs (if there are more than one) in order to find the right one.
- In the Power tab, look for your USB ADSL modem.5. In the Resources tab look for the assigned IRQ (in this case – IRQ21).
- This is the IRQ we’re looking for.
Note: IRQs and modem names might vary…
Step #2 – Modify the system.ini file:
- Run SYSEDIT.EXE from the Run command.
- Expand the system.ini file window.
- Scroll down almost to the end of the file till you find a line called [386enh].
- Press Enter to make one blank line, and in that line type IrqX=4096 where X is the designated IRQ number we found in step #1, in my case it’s IRQ21.Note: This line IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!
- Click on the File menu, then choose Save.
- Close SYSEDIT and reboot your computer.
Done. Speed improvement will be noticed after the computer reboots.
5) Tweaking advanced settings of Windows Xp :
This is rather a straight forward tip, and effect is immediate. Make sure you Log on as Administrator, not as a user with Administrator privileges.
- Start & Run ; type gpedit.msc
- You will see [Local Computer Policy]
- Open [Computer Configuration]
- Expand the [Administrative Templates] branch
- Expand the [Network] branch
- Highlight [QoS Packet Scheduler]
- Double-click [Limit Reservable Bandwidth]
- Check [Enabled]
- Change [Bandwidth limit %] to 0 %
- Click [Apply] [OK]
- Restart (Reboot)
6. Update drivers
Updating the drivers of your computer can give you the noticeable speed boost.
Some common tweaks for your computer:
- Get a good antivirus installed and keep it updated as much as possible, it will reduce the chance of infection from viruses. ( I recommend Kaspersky ).
- Get spyware removers like Spybot, AD-adware.
- Keep automatic update features of XP OFF. you can get all windows updates at autopatcher.com
I have seen some more improvements can be done to improve
How to Determine and Set Up the Fastest DNS Server for Your Connection
On Windows: You can change Windows’ DNS settings deep in the Control Panel, but the freeDNS Jumper makes it a lot easier:
1. Download DNS Jumper, and extract it to any location on your hard drive. It’s a portable application, so there’s no need to install it—just start it up.
2. If you know what DNS server you want to use, pick it from the drop-down menu or type it in the boxes at the bottom. If not, hit the “Fastest DNS” button on the left. It’ll check a number of different servers to find out which one is the fastest for you.
When it’s done, click the “Apply DNS Servers” button to use the fastest server.
A message will float on the lower right hand side. that it has changed the DNS ..
This way you can speed up and also you can try Turbo Resolve and Mixed ( check it ) and mix up the results .. If you have any thing to be updated please be free to comment it ..
I think this is enough, i mean to say i know this much . If you know any tip or tweak please comment i will update it .. Thanks !
( Updated : DNS Jumper V 2.0 added )